Alright this isn’t the most comfortable topic to discuss but let’s face it, we have all experienced gas and bloating sometime in our life. It is an annoying and sometimes embarrassing condition that can result from poor dietary habits or improper digestion. Some of us may seem more prone to gas and bloating than others but the good news is with some simple dietary changes and natural remedies we can prevent future bouts of gas and relieve current episodes. If you are one who suffers on a regular basis, be sure to check with your health care provider to rule out other causes (Celiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease etc) before trying any natural remedy.
One of the easiest solutions is to eliminate foods that are known to cause gas and indigestion such as fried foods, spicy foods, processed foods, fructose and refined sugar. Other common foods that lead to gas and bloating include beans, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, apples and dairy products.
Here are 6 other remedies for gas and bloating:
- Fennel. This delightful vegetable has a mild licorice flavor and can be eaten raw or sauteed. The actual fennel seeds can be crushed and made into a tea by adding boiling water. The fennel seeds can relax the muscles in your digestive track and allow trapped air to pass. Caraway seeds have similar properties and can be added to your meals to help ease gas and indigestion.
- Organic Ginger. Drinking ginger tea or adding fresh grated ginger root to your foods is one of the best remedies for gas. Try adding some fresh ginger to your next stir fry or smoothie.
- Take a Probiotic Supplement. Taking a probiotic supplement or eating foods with probiotics (like yogurt) is a great way to get rid of gas. Probiotics have many health benefits and can help keep your colon in optimal working order.
- Acupuncture. Acupuncture has an effect on every system of our body especially our metabolism. Regular acupuncture treatments can help to regulate your bowels and digestive system to keep everything balanced and running smoothly.
- Peppermint tea. Peppermint helps to relax digestive muscles. If you are not a particular fan of peppermint tea, peppermint capsules work great as well.
- Hot Water. Easy enough and it works. About a half a cup of hot water should do the trick.
Hopefully some of these tips will help keep you gas and bloat-free. If you are faced with a bad episode of gas pains, lying on your back and doing the bicycle motion with your legs can help bring instant relief.